Nov 18, 2009
Van Hollenís Statement on Gohmertís Comments that Democrats May Welcome Another Terrorist Attack
Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Chris Van Hollen released the following statement in response to comments by Representative Louie Gohmert (R-TX) suggesting that a new terrorist attack in New York City would be welcomed by Democrats as a means of creating jobs:
“Congressman Louie Gohmert’s outrageous comments not only insult the victims of 9/11 and their families but also offer the latest evidence that the Republican Party has been taken over by right-wing extremists. House Republicans should immediately condemn Congressman Gohmert’s offensive remarks.
“Whether they’re attending ‘tea party’ rallies featuring Holocaust imagery, comparing health insurance reform to terrorism, or staying silent about plans to burn public officials in effigy, the tenor from House Republicans grows more alarming by the day.
“It’s long past time for the House Republican Leadership to speak out against this disturbing pattern of increasingly extreme rhetoric from their ranks and engage in the constructive search for solutions that America’s many challenges demand.”
- Republican Congressman Louie Gohmert of Texas suggested Tuesday night that Democrats may actually want another terrorist attack because rebuilding the city would create jobs. [Media Matters, 11/18/09]
- Dozens of House leaders greeted the crowd at a Capitol Hill rally where a sign comparing health care reform to a Nazi concentration camp was displayed. [Star Tribune, 11/06/09; Think Progress, 11/05/09]
- Michael Steel, a spokesman for Boehner, said the tea party event was an example of the tactics the Republican leader has heartily endorsed. “Throughout the year, Boehner has encouraged Members to engage in what he calls ‘entrepreneurial insurgency,’ using innovative strategies and tactics to communicate our better solutions to the American people,” Steel said. “The rally yesterday was a great example, and Boehner thanked Reps. Bachmann, King and Price for taking the initiative and making it happen.” [Roll Call, 11/9/09]
- “Rep. Virginia Foxx: Health care reform is a bigger threat than ‘any terrorist right now in any country.’” [Think Progress, 11/02/09]
- The Danville TEA Party, in Congressman Tom Perriello’s district, planned to close their Saturday rally by burning Members of the House in effigy. [Chatham Star-Tribune, 11/13/09]