Sep 01, 2010
Sean Duffy Again Endorses Plan to Privatize Social Security
Watch Video Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1JnJ9UsKw4
This week, Sean Duffy (WI-07) reminded Wisconsin voters once again that his support for Congressman Paul Ryan’s Roadmap to privatize Social Security, end Medicare as we know it, and raise middle class taxes is unwavering. Despite Duffy’s recent attempts to hide his support after much criticism, Sean Duffy again endorsed Ryan’s plan during a joint appearance at a fundraiser for Republican Assembly candidate Erik Severson.
“Despite Sean Duffy’s desperate attempts to hide his support of privatizing Social Security, Duffy had the nerve to stand with Congressman Paul Ryan and again endorse his plan to gamble seniors’ hard-earned benefits on Wall Street,” said Gabby Adler, Midwestern Regional Press Secretary at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. “Sean Duffy needs to stop trying to pull a fast one on Wisconsin Seniors and be honest about his plan to privatize Social Security and risk retirement benefits for Wisconsin’s families.
During the joint appearance with Congressman Paul Ryan, Duffy said “I’m running for Congress. We need to pick up 39 seats in the U.S. House to take away Nancy Pelosi’s gavel...if we do that, we make Congressman Ryan a Chairman. We’re going to start talking about his roadmap for America, getting America back on track and actually being a backstop to President Obama and Harry Reid, should he win, in the Senate.”
Sean Duffy Has Endorsed Congressman Paul Ryan’s Extreme Budget Roadmap On Multiple Occasions:
- In 2010, Duffy was asked if he supported Congressman Paul Ryan’s budget. Duffy replied, “I do.” [YouTube, “Sean Duffy Supports Paul Ryan Budget (WI-07)”]
- On Mike Gousha’s Upfront show in May, Duffy again endorsed Paul Ryan’s “Roadmap for America.” When asked what he would do to address Medicare and Social Security costs, Duffy said, “I think Paul Ryan has some very good ideas in his Roadmap for America.” Duffy went on to say, “Social Security, um, people [who] are 55 and older are looking for that in their retirement, but folks that are in their early 50s, 40s, in the late 30s like me, we realize that that system’s not going to be there for us when we get to the age of retirement.” [Upfront with Mike Gousha, 5/23/10]
- Most recently, Sean Duffy attended a fundraiser with Congressman Paul Ryan on Monday, August 30, 2010 where Duffy again endorsed the “Roadmap for America” saying, “I’m running for Congress. We need to pick up 39 seats in the U.S. House to take away Nancy Pelosi’s gavel...if we do that, we make Congressman Ryan a Chairman. We’re going to start talking about his roadmap for America, getting America back on track and actually being a backstop to President Obama and Harry Reid, should he win, in the Senate.” [Sean Duffy Supports Paul Ryan's Roadmap, accessed 9/1/10]
Congressman Paul Ryan’s Budget Would Privatize Social Security By Establishing Private Accounts:
- According to CBO Analysis, under the Ryan Budget:
Traditional retirement benefits would be reduced below those scheduled under current law for many workers who are age 55 or younger in 2011... A system of individual accounts would be established in 2012. In that year, workers who are age 55 or younger would be able to participate in voluntary individual accounts, funded with a portion of their payroll taxes. [Congressional Budget Office, 1/27/10]
- Ezra Klein of The Washington Post explains the implications Ryan's budget alternative would have on Social Security:
“Social Security gets guaranteed, private accounts that CBO says will actually cost more than the present arrangement, further underscoring how ancillary the program is to our budget problem.” [Washington Post, 2/1/10]