Jul 15, 2008
Fundraising Not So Sweet In Sweet-Land
Sixty days after Onondaga County Republican Chairman John DeSpirito III said Sweetland needed to raise $500,000 the second quarter of 2008, Dale Sweetland filed with just one-fifth of that on hand -- $107,000. Things just keep getting worse for Republicans in New York's 25th district. Earlier this month, the non-partisan Cook Political Report changed the open seat's ranking from ‘toss up' to ‘lean Democrat.' And worst of all, according to Crain's New York, Sweetland's own campaign manager, Bill Rapp, said that "the National Republican Congressional Committee may not be eager to help close the gap" [7/10/08]
"Things just keep getting worse for New York Republicans," said Carrie James, regional press secretary at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. "After nearly half a dozen candidates either declined to run or dropped out of the race, Onondaga Republicans are stuck with a candidate who is so out of touch with the district even his own campaign manager and party chair have thrown in the towel."
- Onondaga County Republican Chairman John DeSpirito III said Sweetland's goal is to raise $500,000 by July. Walsh pledged to hold a fundraiser for Sweetland in Washington and to use his connections to raise money. [Syracuse Post Standard, 5/6/08]
- Sweetland Campaign Manager, Bill Rapp said the NRCC is unlikely to help Sweetland. "Rapp says the National Republican Congressional Committee may not be eager to help close the gap. They look at how much money has been raised so far. They don't look into details as to why we're trailing." [Crain's New York, 7/10/08]
- Democratic congressional candidate Dan Maffei reported raising $470,000 in the second quarter of 2008, and $950,000 cash on hand [release, 7/7/08]
- New York's 25th Congressional District is one of only eight districts nationwide that John Kerry won in 2004 and is currently held by a Republican.
- The non-partisan Cook Political Report changed the open seat's ranking from ‘toss up' to ‘leans Democrat. [Cook Report, 7/3/08]