May 19, 2011
Find the Lowest Gas Prices in Your Area: Go To TheGrandOilParty.Com
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) launched a Gas Prices Action Center at www.TheGrandOilParty.com. The online action center helps Americans fight back against Big Oil by finding the cheapest gas at the pump and by opposing the billions in Republican giveaways to Big Oil companies. While Big Oil Executives were recently defending their taxpayer giveaways in the U. S. Senate, House Republicans again voted to protect billions of dollars in taxpayer giveaways for the biggest oil companies.
While repeatedly voting to protect Big Oil’s taxpayer giveaways, House Republicans have voted to end Medicare and raise health care costs for seniors. Thanks to their cozy relationship with Big Oil, House Republican leaders have been rewarded with over $2 million in campaign contributions.
“Again and again the Grand Oil Party (GOP) Members have voted to protect billions of dollars in taxpayer giveaways to Big Oil and end Medicare while American families are squeezed with surging prices at the pump,” said Jesse Ferguson of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee “We are stepping up our efforts to help middle class families beat Big Oil and the Grand Oil Party – by getting the cheapest price at the pump and by fighting to end these taxpayer giveaways. The American people will hold House Republicans accountable for rewarding Big Oil, while they vote to end Medicare and increase health care costs for seniors.”
The Grand Oil Party’s Record This Congress:
- House Republicans voted to protect billions of dollars in taxpayer giveaways for Big Oil companies. Republicans voted for bypassing consideration of the Big Oil Welfare Repeal Act of 2011 (H.R. 1689). H.R. 1689 would amend the Internal Revenue Code to prohibit major oil companies (the Big 5) from receiving a tax deduction for domestic oil and natural gas production activities. [H Res 245, Vote #293, 5/5/11; The Hill, 5/4/11; CBS News, 5/4/11]
- House Republicans voted against cutting taxpayer spending on subsidies for Big Oil companies making record profits. Republicans opposed a Motion to Recommit that would ensure no “tax benefit” could go to a “major integrated oil company.” [HJRes 44, Vote #153, 3/1/11]
- House Republicans Voted to End Medicare. Republicans voted for the House Republican budget plan, which, according to The Wall Street Journal, “would essentially end Medicare, which now pays most of the health-care bills for 48 million elderly and disabled Americans, as a program that directly pays those bills.” [H Con. Res. 34, Vote #277, 4/15/11; Wall Street Journal, 4/4/11]
- The House Republican leadership has taken over $2 million from the oil and gas industry while in Congress. [opensecrets.org, accessed 5/05/11]
- Recently, the Big Five Oil companies reported that their profits increased by 38 percent since this time last year, while middle income families are feeling the squeeze at the gas pump. ExxonMobil reported profits of nearly $11 billion in the first quarter of 2011, a 69 percent increase. Shell reported profits of $7 billion. ConocoPhillips reported profits of $3 billion. Chevron reported $6.2 billion, and BP reported $5.5 billion. [Center for American Progress, 5/3/11]