Sep 09, 2013
DCCC Announces Nine Additions to Jumpstart Program For Top Tier Candidates
DCCC Chairman Steve Israel announced today that nine new candidates are being added to the Committee’s Jumpstart program – taking to 16 the number of top candidates who are part of the new program. The Committee launched the new Jumpstart program earlier this year to provide early financial, communications, operational, and strategic support to top recruits around the country. Since the start of the cycle, the DCCC’s priority has been to recruit top tier candidates and provide them the support needed to get an early jumpstart on success.
These candidates are committed to ending the partisanship and dysfunction that plagues this Republican Congress and puts middle class financial security at risk. Instead, they’ll focus on strengthening the middle class, reducing the deficit and protecting Medicare and Social Security.
“Our recruiting is already ahead of schedule, and these Jumpstart candidates are standouts – women and men who have spent their careers solving problems and putting the middle class ahead of partisan ideology,” Chairman Israel said. “Americans are tired of the unreasonable obstructionism of this broken Republican Congress, and these candidates will offer the antidote that Americans deserve – a willingness to come together with new ideas to work on reasonable solutions. From a Retired Navy commander to a local businesswoman to a sheriff and general, these Jumpstart candidates are getting a jumpstart on their path to victory and a head start on making Congress work for America’s middle class again.”
Chairman Israel has assembled an aggressive Recruitment Committee chaired by Congresswoman Donna Edwards and supported by Congressman Jared Polis, who is the National Chair for Candidate Services. Chairman Israel outlined the new Jumpstart Program in a memo to members of the Democratic Caucus earlier this year.
The following candidates have been added to Jumpstart:
- Former State Senator Staci Appel (IA-03)
- Businesswoman Erin Bilbray (NV-03)
- Former State Representative Pam Byrnes (MI-07)
- Former General and Sheriff Jerry Cannon (MI-01)
- Former State Legislator Jennifer Garrison (OH-06)
- Attorney Roxanne Lara (NM-02)
- Former Senator Baucus State Director John Lewis (MT-AL)
- Retired Navy Commander Suzanne Patrick (VA-02)
- County Legislature Chair Martha Robertson (NY-23)
These candidates join seven initial Jumpstart candidates who are already laying the groundwork for Democratic success in the following districts:
- Redlands Mayor Pete Aguilar (CA-31)
- Former Judge Ann Callis (IL-13)
- Farmer Michael Eggman (CA-10)
- Attorney Gwen Graham (FL-02)
- Councilman Domenic M. Recchia, Jr. (NY-11)
- Former Colorado House Speaker Andrew Romanoff (CO-06)
- Former Army Ranger Kevin Strouse (PA-08)