Sep 16, 2008
AD WATCH: Buchanan Lies about Big Oil Ties
In his latest misleading ad, Representative Vern Buchanan (FL-13) claims that he is working to lower gas prices. In reality, Buchanan has taken over $17,000 from Big Oil, and then opposed new energy efficiency standards and increasing the use of renewable energy.
"The only thing Representative Vern Buchanan tells the truth about in his new ad is that middle class Floridians are struggling with sky high prices at the pump. What he lies about is his own failure to help lower the cost of gas for middle class families by putting our country on a path to energy independence," said Kyra Jennings, Southern Regional Press Secretary at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. "In Washington, Vern Buchanan looks out for his own interest and the interests of his Big Oil buddies - middle class Floridians deserve a leader like Christine Jennings who will look out for them."
AD WATCH: Buchanan's Big Oil Support
Buchanan Claim: "We must reduce our dependence on foreign oil. That means alternative energy, conservation, and finding and producing more oil here in America."
FACT: Buchanan has Taken More than $17,000 from the Oil & Gas Industry
- Buchanan has taken $17,262 from the oil and gas industry. [opensecrets.org, accessed 9/12/08]
FACT: Buchanan Twice Voted to Protect Tax Breaks for Oil Companies
- In 2008, Buchanan twice voted against a motion to end debate on the Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Tax Act and allow for the House to vote on the legislation. [HR 5351, Vote #80, 2/27/08; HR 5351, Vote #78, 2/27/08]
FACT: Buchanan Voted Against New Energy Efficiency Standards
- In 2007, Buchanan voted against comprehensive energy legislation that would raise automobile fuel-efficiency standards for the first time in 32 years and require increased use of renewable energy sources to generate electricity. [HR 6, Vote #1140, 12/06/07]
FACT: Buchanan Voted to Protect Oil Companies and Against Clean Energy
- In 2007, Buchanan voted against a bill to authorize $16.1 billion in energy-related tax provisions, including new tax credit bonds to encourage energy efficiency in residential property and more production of "clean" energy. In addition, the bill created a $6 billion "green bond fund" that would help local and state governments build energy-efficient projects. [HR 2776, Vote #835, 8/4/07]
FACT: Buchanan Voted Against Increasing the Use of Renewable Energy
- In 2007, Buchanan voted against requiring retail electricity suppliers to produce at least 2.75 percent of electricity from renewable energy sources starting in 2010, with percentages rising each year to 15 percent by 2020. [HR 3221, Vote #827, 8/4/07]
Buchanan Claim: "Vern Buchanan -- honest, independent, fighting for change"
FACT: Buchanan Named One of the 20 Most Corrupt Members in Congress
- Vern Buchanan has been named one of the most corrupt members of Congress by a non-partisan ethics organization for allegations of illegal campaign contributions. [Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, accessed 9/12/08]
FACT: Buchanan Voted with the Republican Party 87% of the Time. [CQ Politics, accessed 9/12/08]