Apr 27, 2006
DCCC Announces Launch of GOPAuctionHouse.org: Website Details Republican Congress For Sale to Specia
Apr 27, 2006
DCCC Announces Launch of GOPAuctionHouse.org: Website Details Republican Congress For Sale to Special Interests
New DCCC Website Chronicles the Ties Between the Rubber Stamp Republican Congress and Big Oil, HMOs, Jack Abramoff and More and Lack of GOP Support for American Families; Shows Cost to Middle Class
Visit www.GOPAuctionHouse.org to Learn More
Crony of the Week: John Sweeney (R-NY)
- Big oil and gas industries have given Rep. Sweeney $25,500.
- Big drug interests have given $27,200 to Sweeney over his career.
- Sweeney votes with President Bush 80% of the time.
- Sweeney votes the GOP party line 90% of the time.
(Washington, D.C.) Today, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee announced the launch of the DCCCs new website highlighting how the GOP has turned the Peoples House into an Auction House. This website is a clearinghouse for the massive web of connections between the Republican Congress, the special interests and the scandals that tie them all together. Last April, the DCCC released Tom DeLays House of Scandal a similar website. Today, that House is under new management and the GOP Auction House website shows just how far the DeLay-style, pay-to-play corruption reaches.
This Republican Congress has shut out American interests and let loose the special interests. They have turned the Peoples House into an Auction House and it is costing middle class families in very real ways, said Congressman Rahm Emanuel, Chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. This Republican Congress is beholden to special interests like the energy companies and HMOs at a time when gas prices and health care costs are higher than ever. There is a real cost of corruption and this website will help voters learn the truth about the GOPs Auction House. The Republican wrong-headed priorities have been the way they have done business for far too long and it is time for a change for American families.
Key Features of the Website
How the GOP Auction House Affects You:
The website details the real impact of this special interest dominated Republican Congress on American families. On the most critical middle class priorities, families have been shunted aside in the name of big corporate giveaways, tax breaks and short-sighted, insufficient plans. The website focuses on the following priorities:
- Health Care; Gas Prices; The Environment; Support for Our Troops; Education; Good American Jobs; Social Security; Stem Cell Research
Crony of the Week:
Each week, the DCCC will name a new GOP Crony of the Week. This Republican Member of Congress will be highlighted on the front of the GOP Auction House website for their connections to the forces in Washington that have taken this nation in the wrong direction.
- The first Crony of the GOP Auction House will be New York Congressman John Sweeney. Sweeney is being recognized as the Crony of the Week for:
* Voting against cracking down on the oil and gas industries price gouging.
* Voting for the GOP energy bill that gave billions to oil, gas and nuclear industries.
* Voting for the GOP Medicare Prescription Drug Bill that confuses seniors and could end up charging them more for their health care.
* Voting against allowing millions of Americans to save their hard-earned dollars on prescription drugs by re-importing them from Canada, even though these were U.S. made and patient safety was ensured.
* Taking $15,000 from House Majority Leader John Boehner's "Freedom Project" PAC.
* Taking $7,000 from GOP Whip Roy Blunt's "Rely on Your Beliefs" PAC.
* Taking $4,915 from Tom DeLay's ARMPAC.
House of Scandal: Under New Management:
A little more than a year ago the DCCC released Tom DeLays House of Scandal. Today, with the indicted former Republican leader retiring from Congress, the House of Scandal is under new management. The GOP Auction House website includes an interactive diagram that links the Republican Caucus, their ethically challenged colleagues and their closest special interest allies with the different ethics admonishments, scandals and the pay-for-play legislation they have promoted.
- Some of the featured connections: The Bush White House, the Republican National Committee, the indicted former Republican leader Tom DeLay, John Boehner, Roy Blunt, Dennis Hastert, Bob Ney, K Street Lobbyists, Richard Pombo, Rob Simmons, Nancy Johnson, Mike Ferguson, Curt Weldon, John Doolittle, Jim Gerlach, Peter Roskam, convicted felons Jack Abramoff, Mike Scanlon, disgraced Congressman Duke Cunningham and many more.