Jun 28, 2005
Rep. J.D. Hayworth: Tom DeLay’s Latest Crony of the Week
Jun 28, 2005
Rep. J.D. Hayworth: Tom DeLay's Latest Crony of the Week
Hayworth Takes Tens of Thousands of Dollars in Campaign Cash from DeLay;
Washington, D.C. Today, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee announced that Congressman J.D. Hayworth of the 5th District of Arizona is the newest Tom DeLay Crony of the Week. Hayworth was named Crony of the Week for loyally towing the party line and following an ethically challenged leader in congress. Congressman Hayworth will be featured for the next seven days on the DCCCs website: Tom DeLays House of Scandal (www.houseofscandal.org).
J.D. Hayworth plays follow-the-leader, in this case, Tom DeLay, on nearly every issue. In fact, Hayworth is so closely allied with DeLay that he votes with him 93% of the time. Rep. Hayworth has also taken thousands of dollars in campaign cash from DeLay and his political action committees and has even contributed to Tom DeLays legal defense fund these are signs that his interests lie with Tom DeLay and Republicans in Congress and not Arizona families.
With his designation as the latest Crony of the Week, voters in Hayworths district can learn the truth about their congressmans close ties to the ethically challenged Majority Leader.
- J.D. Hayworth has taken $15,765 from DeLay's political action committee, ARMPAC, and contributed $1,000 to DeLays legal defense fund [www.tray.com].
- Both J.D. Hayworth and Tom DeLay used the MCI skybox of disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff to hold fundraisers without disclosing it. [Washington Post, 12/26/04]
- Tom DeLay has been admonished a record three times by the House Ethics Committee for his unethical behavior, and will likely face the committee yet again -- meanwhile, J.D. Hayworth continues to stand by his leader.
- Hayworth puts partisan politics ahead of the 5th District of Arizona Hayworth voted with DeLay more than 93% of the time between January 1, 2004 and March 31, 2005 [www.cq.com].
- J.D. Hayworth voted to weaken the House Ethics rules in a move that many say served only to protect Tom DeLay. Recently, House Republicans including Hayworth voted to restore the House ethics process -- but only after an enormous public outcry [H Res 5, Roll Call #6, 1/4/05 and H Res 241, Roll Call #145, 4/27/05].
Arizonans deserve to know why Congressman J.D. Hayworth, continues to blindly protect and follow Tom DeLay, his party leader. Tom DeLay spends his time fighting ethics charges and on issues that divide America, yet Hayworth votes with him more than 9 out of 10 times and has even contributed to his defense fund, said Bill Burton, communications director of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. Middle-class families in Arizona deserve a representative in Congress who knows that his first responsibility is to the families he represents, not the political party he blindly follows.